Friday, May 04, 2007

2 things my mom always told me to do

Dixie on SBA is really challenging us to blog this week. I have just had my head stuck in World Civilization up to the 1600's this past eight weeks. So it's good to finally think of something else.

When I started junior high my mom always told me to take as many business courses as I could. She said the more I learned the more I would be worth to a business. I took all the typing and business classes I could when I was in junior high and high school. I worked my senior year with a local attorney's office part time while going to school through a work program.

After I got married my mom also told me to always work so that no matter what I would be able to take care of myself. I have basically never not worked. I think the longest I have gone without a job is two weeks since I was eighteen. My ex husband was military and we moved about every three years. I always had a job within two weeks of us moving. I am the type of person that I don't know what to do if I'm not working. I end up cleaning baseboards, etc. I need other human interaction.

I am so thankful for my mother's wisdom. So many women find themselves in the divorce world with several children and no work skills and well it's scary enough being out there with work skills. I am also thankful for my parent's help and encouragement while I go back to college. I started college at the age of 34 with just one class a term at night. I now have 7 classes left to finish my associates in liberal arts so that I can transfer it to one of our 4 yr colleges for Business Management/Accounting degree.

I really want to be a nurse but currently that will have to wait. My daughter is a teenager and well she needs me right now during these tough teenage years. I always tell her that when she starts college I'll start nursing school.

I love to learn new things and the challenge of learning them. I just have to learn not to beat myself up so much over a "B" because 20 yrs from now nobody is going to know whether or not I made straight "A's".

4 comments:

Diana said...

I hope you get to go to nursing school some day.

Michelle Quinno said...

Angie, I'm a lot like you. I started working in high school and only stopped when I moved back to MA. It lasted 3 mos. while I got us settled in our new house, then I was bored so I got a part time job.

I took the business courses in high school and some college as well.

Linda Murphy said...

I am sure you will find the right time to start your nursing career path. My mom was divorced and worked two jobs to support the two of us. I know that I have such a respect for the sacrifices my mom made as a single mom. I am sure your daughter will have many beautiful things to say about you and all that you are doing for her. I wish you all the very best.

Deborah said...

Your mom was a very wise woman....as are you for seeing the value of her advice.