Friday, May 11, 2007

Daisy the raccoon




At the end of March, our local animal shelter had baby raccoons that they needed foster parents for to bottlefeed to be released back into the wild. So I come home carting this little female raccoon that we named Daisy. Of course since she is a baby the first night all she did was cry every time I tried to hold her - as babies normally do when I try to hold them. My daughter was just in awe of her as I was. Do you know that baby raccoon are not born with their mask or the stripes on their tails? That's how you can tell how old they are. Daisy's ears were just starting to open when we got her.
Oh the noises that a raccoon makes. Daisy can purr like a cat when she is happy. She tells you about it when she's upset, a little squeal noise. She also chatters when she's excited. My mom has her brother and they at first would chatter back and forth with each other but they have been separated enough now that they are not sure of each other.
Erynn the other day put just a little bit of warm water in the bathtub for daisy to play in. She gave her a little cat ball and Daisy would go get it and then bring it to the side of the tub for Erynn. It was too funny. Daisy chattered the whole time.
We have been keeping her in my daughter's bathroom in a dog crate. Erynn made her a long box out of small boxes taped together and Daisy loves to hide in there. It's funny in the morning to walk in there because we always call her name "Daisy", "Daisy" and when she sees that bottle she comes barrelling out. After Daisy finishes her bottle she has to give you lovings. She puts her little feet on your face like she is holding your face and then washes you like a cat washes. Lately she has been getting upset with us when we go to put her up.
Have I told you how soft her little feet are? They are like the finest leather. She loves for me to rub them for her. She has 5 little fingers that are jointed. Her little feet are so amazing!
Now, every time I see a raccoon hit on the road I think that could be Daisy some day. It's a very neat time but a very sad time for us because I know she is wild and we will have to let her go.

11 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

Awe, she is sooooo cute, Angie! It'll be hard to let her go though. :-(

Anonymous said...

Daisy is so cute! My dad used to foster raccoons, and it was so much fun! They have the greatest personalities! You are doing a great thing! Smile! I hope you had a great MOTHERS DAY!

Unknown said...

So, so, cute!!! I would be so worried that I would get too close to that adorable little critter. I don't know if I could release it into the wild!

It's so sweet of your family to help rescue them.

Linda Murphy said...

Wow, what a cutie. You and your daughter are so wonderful to be temporary caregivers.

Barb said...

Oh my word, Angie, she's precious. I have no idea how on earth you can ever let her go. Adorable photos. Your description made ME fall in love with her. I know she's a wild thing but honestly, don't you just want to completely tame her and keep her forever?

Anonymous said...

I know you are busy... have you ever met a one of us that isn't? But you came by my page and left a comment and I thought, "how sweet"! I hope all is well! Thank you for the encouragement!

BeckyKay said...

Oooh! Racoons are so neat! They just look so sweet. Mean little buggers when they grow up, but adorable nonetheless!

Growing up, my cousin had a license to keep and raise wildlife. He had a raccoon at one point. It was just the cutest little thing!

Enjoy your little visitor! I can't imagine how you will part with her!

Deborah said...

So cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh daisy is sooo sweet, you are very privilaged to be able to be close to a wild animal for a while, and give a good start in life.

Michelle said...

How cute Daisy is. This is a neat experience for your daugther to have.

lv2scpbk said...

Wonderful photos.

You've been tagged. Please go to my site to see.