Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Chicken Adobo and Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle Recipes

4 chicken breast boneless
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 bay leaf, whole
2 cups water
1 large onion

1. Put chicken into a kettle and add salt, garlic, black pepper,
bay leaves, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and water.
Place a sliced onion in bottom of pan and then put chicken
on top of it.
Cover and let simmer until chicken is tender and brown.
2. Serve over hot or cold rice.

Our neighbor shared this recipe with us. We had it tonight and it was delicious. Even my picky eater daughter ate it.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle


2 packages gingerbread mix 14oz pkgs each
5 ounces cook and serve vanilla pudding mix *
30 ounces pumpkin pie filling *
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
12 ounces whip topping mix
1/2 cup gingersnaps, crushed

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.
Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble
1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of
cool whip. Repeat with the remaining ingredients ending with the cool
whip on top. Sprinkle the top with crushed gingersnaps. Refrigerate.

*This had a strong pumpkin taste - so if you like pumpkin pie you should really love this. I think that when I make it I'm going to use the pumpkin pudding mix if they have it out again and not as much of the pumpkin pie filling.

7 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

These sound yummy Angie! I probably won't make anything "pumpkin-y" again until next fall, but I will keep this one in my files. The chicken one sounds delicious and I think I have all of those ingredients on hand. When the directions say to put it in a "kettle", is that just a skillet, saucepan or maybe souppot/Dutch oven? Sorry if the question seems silly!!!

Thanks for sharing these :)

Linda Murphy said...

They both sound so delicious...I am copying the chicken-I just bought a huge Costco pack of chicken and needed inspiration to try something different! Thank you!

Michelle Quinno said...

Yum, they DO sound delish! I thought the chicken would have the spice called adobo in it though?!

gail@more than a song said...

Yum, recipes! Seriously I don't need to eat for like a week after what I've had during the holidays. I bet the pumpkin makes a lot so I might have to file that one away for a while. The chicken sounds really good! Thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

I cook adobo once in a while. Sometimes I add pork too so it becomes a chicken and pork adobo. I use chicken legs and wings though, because its yummy to pick on the bones ... haha !!!

Anonymous said...

YUM! THose sound very tasty!

Anonymous said...

Great work.