Friday, January 05, 2007

Making friends in unexpected places...

Right before Christmas, I was getting ready for a cookie exchange at my church. I have been going to this church off and on for the last couple of years and have finally joined the singles group and going regularly. Well on this particular morning, I just didn't really want to go. I wasn't sure there would be anyone there that I knew and thought I might be bored.

I got there a little bit early and helped finish setting up room that the exchange was going to be in. I met on lady who is about my age and she was to be baptised the following morning. She was telling me that at first she was having problems with it because of her age and that she felt she should have done it when she was younger - she was embarrassed. I told her that I was proud of her - because it was something that I needed to do too and she was talking to others out there in the church that needed to take the step too. My daughter and I have both accepted God as our Saviour but have never taken the step to be baptised. I know that Erynn is very nervous about taking that step and I have told her I will wait for her so we can do it together but I feel the need to take that next step but I don't want to pressure her about it.

Anyway, next I met the neatest person, Linda. Linda is from the area that I grew up in. She is a few years older than me but we just clicked. She is a missionary with her husband and four children in Central Asia. Every three years they come to the states and spend time before they go back. She had such neat things to tell about the culture of the area they had been staying in and the people. Linda is one of those people that when she speaks God speaks to you. You could just sit and listen for hours and I did and was just in awe of her and the wonderful work they do for God in Central Asia.

What brought this up is I sent them a email because they went back right after Christmas. Linda said that it always weighs heavy on her heart until they leave but she knows that this is what they are called to do. Isn't it funny to know that others have that problem too - don't want to but know they are to do God's work. She and her family have made me think of things differently. At Christmas, when I wanted to make a purchase at the spur of the moment - you know not really needed but wanted - I thought - here is Linda and her family and they do without so much more than we do and they are fine - do I really need this? All the material things that we think we need and we really don't need. I have received several emails back from Linda and again she is just an awesome person that I can learn so much from and am very excited to have this special friendship with her.

So on that day that I really didn't want to go - two amazing things happened. A woman talked to me about being baptised at an older age (which spoke to me) and Linda, a very special person that has a lot to teach me about faith. Could you say an extra prayer or two for Linda and her family trying to adjust back to a completely different culture and for God to watch over them and keep them safe while they speak the word of God to the Muslims and try to convert them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God works in wonderous ways.
He knew you needed to go.
glad you made 2 new friends!

Deborah said...

thanks for such an awesome post! And, I was baptized at thirty. I was embarrassed too, but am so glad I did it. That is terrific that you and your daughter will make the covenent together!

Linda Murphy said...

Such a beautiful post, I am glad you met such a wonderful person.