Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Family traditions

I'm so excited to read everyone's holiday traditions. We have a few but I can't wait to incorporate more this year. This year will be our first Christmas on our very own in our own house. It's a very scary and exciting year for us and I'm sure it will be a very special one. I have been divorced from my daughter's dad since 2000 but we lived with my parents until 2005 and I'm very thankful that they had the space for us. In 2005 I remarried which was a huge mistake and lasted less than a year - hence my dd and I having our very own house this year on our own.

I asked my daughter a couple of years ago what she liked most about our Christmas and she told me when we drove around looking at the Christmas lights. There is a house not far from my parent's "The Brockington House" and each year by Thanksgiving they have everything lit up. You can drive down their driveway and they have Christmas carols playing and you circle around their driveway slowly and then come back out. It's magical and I'm afraid it won't happen this year because they have the house up for sale. So we will have to find another special Christmas place to go.

My favorite is the Live Nativity that one of the small local churches does each year. It's neat because we don't know the kids but we have watched them grow up through the Nativity. They always put a sign up announcing that it will be that weekend and you drive through it with your head lights turned off. They do such a great job of it.

Christmas eve we always watch "The Christmas Story". I know it's a corny movie but I love it. We usually have snacks at my parent's house and I usually have a small present (book) for my daughter to open. Since she is old enough she reads me "Twas the Night Before Christmas". It's a special pop up book that I got her when she was a baby. Then we put out the plate of cookies and Coke (This santa doesn't like milk!LOL) and we go to bed.

Christmas morning we do our stockings and then see what Santa brought (usually one gift) and then the rest are from Mom. Then the day is spent at my parent's house. My daughter's dad is in Germany so these last few years I have had her all to myself. It's hard for her but she's doing pretty well with it.

I want to incorporate the Jesse tree this year. We are getting ready to start making our ornaments for it. I love the spoons game that Laura told about - we may have to try that this year.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear what all you guys do and the many more ways I can make Christ a bigger part of Christmas than Santa.

Wishing you all the best this holiday season.

Check out Sandra's blog for more ideas!

6 comments:

someone else said...

I loved reading the sweetness of this. Beginning your own traditions will stay in your daughter's heart the rest of her life. Have a very blessed Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas story. We used to drive past a house where my Grandma used to live, they would end up on the news every year, I think he had over 2,000 Christmas lights (not bulbs but light sets) it was amazing. I bet his electricity bill was huge :o)

Pamela said...

Oh what a wonderful loving and thoughtful Mother and Daughter relationship you two have! Your traditions are so simular to ours! lol
Thanks so much for sharing, that spoon game does sound like fun! :)

Donnetta said...

Enjoy your new and very own place this year with all your established traditions as well as any new ones you might add. The Jesse tree sounds like a great start!

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to be starting new traditions in your own house! A wonderful blessing. I forgot to mention in my post that we drive around looking at the houses that are lit up in the city and sometimes go to a light show.

Have a blessed holiday!

Sherry

Ms. Kathleen said...

That was wonderful now tell me about the "Jesse Tree". I have never heard of it. I also love looking at the lights and have only seen on Living Nativity and it was awesome.

Have a blessed Christmas Season!